RE: TR6 speedometer woes

To: "'chris@dbserver.miles33.com'" <chris@dbserver.miles33.com>
Subject: RE: TR6 speedometer woes
From: Peter Zaborski <peterz@merak.com>
Date: Thu, 20 Nov 1997 10:13:03 -0700
Cc: "'TR6 List'" <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>
Chris,

The 76 (and 75 I think) all had the split cable you are seeing in your
car. The device in the middle is an EGR service interval counter which
is set to turn on a light on the dash (the EGR light between the fasten
belts and brake warning lights) when the mileage it records reaches a
certain point (I think 12,000 miles but I could have this wrong). The
counter works by having the speedo cable run through it and presumably
turn an "odometer" type device. When this odometer reaches a certain
value it trips a contact which closes a circuit and the light goes one
reminding you to have your EGR valve checked/cleaned/whatever.

So your setup is stock. The Bentley covers all the years and since the
cars changed quite a bit over their production (mostly due to rapidly
changing regulations in the North American market) it would be hard for
the manual to cover all the different features of all the different
models.

PS. I am removing my EGR counter and replacing my speedo cable with one
from an earlier TR6 (one piece). I am also replacing my EGR warning
light with an Overdrive indicator.

Peter Zaborski
76 TR6 (CF58310 UO)
Calgary AB Canada