Spit ignition switch and such

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Spit ignition switch and such
From: msecres@ibm.net
Date: Thu, 20 Nov 1997 21:13:38 -0800
I have a little problem with the ignition switch in my Spitfire.

Let me preface this query by saying that my Haynes manual does not adequately
address my
model of Spitfire(74) on this issue ... only later years, for some reason.

My ignition switch is the kind located low on the column, with an integrated
steering
wheel locking  mechanism.  The other day, I could not get the key to advance
past the
very first *click,* so I couldn't turn over the engine.  Having removed one of
the
bracket bolts holding the switch to the column, it now works - most of the time
- but I
can't seem to gain access to the other bolt to take the switch fully off the
column to
explore the situation further.  Do I need to do lotz more dismantling?

On another (unrelated) issue, I just got the car back from the alignment guys,
and
though it wasn't far off to begin with, the improvement is quite noticeable.
Now I'm
getting additional speed from a nice smooth roll.  I bring this up only to
remind folks
that if your car doesn't go DEAD EVEN STRAIGHT with your hands off the wheel,
you are
giving up speed (and tread) to some cross-eyed tires!

--
Martin Secrest
74 Spitfire