Good driver for $1000

To: "Triumph Digest" <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Good driver for $1000
From: "Hayes" <htjhayes@mysurf.com>
Date: Fri, 21 Nov 1997 00:05:14 -0800
>John Peacock wrote:
>
>> I need a good driver for under $1000.  Prefer British car but will
consider
>> other sports cars.
>
>John, just add your name to the list. You will be somwhere around 20
>years to late, it seems under a thousand will not even buy a overdrive
>much less a sports car. I have been in the auto business for over 40
>years and am still looking for a driver under 1000.00, good luck

I beg to differ. I've bought not one,  but two reliable daily drivers for
$1000. Okay, the first one erupted into flames. But hey, I got 16000 miles
out of  it. My 1978 spit has over 20,000 miles in the last 14 months and
is still running. I've even autocrossed it (yes I got "whupped" by an MG,
but at least I beat a Saturn) Not to mention the fact that I'm in college
and don't exactly baby it at anytime. I've gone camping in it four times
for 5 day trips. It's a great car, it even has overdrive. At a nickel a
mile, it sure beats a bus pass. Of course the PO was the original owner
and loved it like a son, putting tons of money into it. He even gave me
all the receipts.

John, it can be done. With the combined resources of this list, just about
every question can be answered. I just hope it does'nt burn up like my
first spit. Good luck!

Josh Hayes
1978 Spit
1960something TR-3 A