Re: Good driver for $1000

To: "Hayes" <htjhayes@mysurf.com>, triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: Good driver for $1000
From: Chip Mautz <cmautz@mindspring.com>
Date: Fri, 21 Nov 1997 08:23:31 -0500
At 12:05 AM 11/21/97 -0800, you wrote:
>>John Peacock wrote:

<snip>

>I beg to differ. I've bought not one,  but two reliable daily drivers for
>$1000. Okay, the first one erupted into flames. But hey, I got 16000 miles

Both were Spits?  Good job!

>out of  it. My 1978 spit has over 20,000 miles in the last 14 months and
>is still running. I've even autocrossed it (yes I got "whupped" by an MG,
>but at least I beat a Saturn) Not to mention the fact that I'm in college

Next time - don't use the O/D, and you should beat the MG...  :P

>and don't exactly baby it at anytime. I've gone camping in it four times
>for 5 day trips. It's a great car, it even has overdrive. At a nickel a

You must have reclining seats!

<snip>

>John, it can be done. With the combined resources of this list, just about
>every question can be answered. I just hope it does'nt burn up like my
>first spit. Good luck!

Err, makes me REAL glad that I picked up a Fire Extinguisher for my Spit
just last night...

btw - Sears wanted $10/ea for a craftsman flare nut wrench, 1/2".  Only
$8.95 for the 3/8" that I was going to pick up also.  I mean, come on!  For
each tool!  Anybody got a favorite place to pick up a cheap set of SAE
flare nut wrenches (Home Depot, Ace Hardware, etc.)

Thanks

Chip
'71 Spit ('Ol Smokey)
<Smokey - especially when it's leaking fuel out of the fuel pump!>

Chip Mautz
Greenbrier & Russel
Atlanta, Ga

"Life is too short to drive boring cars"