Re: Fuel filter <-> fuel line

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: Fuel filter <-> fuel line
From: Egil Kvaleberg <egil@kvaleberg.no>
Date: Sat, 22 Nov 1997 10:43:21 GMT
On 20 Nov 1997, Chip Old wrote:

> I'm not a metallurgist, but I've learned from experience that copper
> tubing needs to be very well supported by lots of brackets fairly close
> together.  Otherwise it tends to harden and crack as an effect of
> vibration.  That's why fuel lines are usually steel.

I'm not a bean counter, but I know copper lines costs much more than
steel or plastic lines.  That's why fuel lines are usually steel or
plastic.

Egil

PS: The entire American continent seems to be collectively convinced that
copper is useless for automotive use due to vibration induced
embrittlement. That simply is not so. In UK, it has always been very
common to use copper for brake lines for cars, with no ill effects.
Copper lines with a wall thickness and metallurgic treatment that makes it
suitable for the purpose, of course. If you like a stiffer but still
corrosion proof material, copper-nickel tubing is the way to go (which I
am also using myself).

--
Email: egil@kvaleberg.no Voice: +47 22523641, 92022780 Fax: +47 22525899
Snail: Egil Kvaleberg, Husebybakken 14A, 0379 Oslo, Norway