Re: "TR4" badge on boot (trunk) lid

To: The Browns <thebrown@scci.net>
Subject: Re: "TR4" badge on boot (trunk) lid
From: "Michael D. Porter" <mdporter@rt66.com>
Date: Sat, 22 Nov 1997 22:37:48 -0800
Cc: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
The Browns wrote:

> My TR4 (CT37002L)  has the badge

[the interim has been snipped}

> >  Maybe the dealers here in the states put on the badges in '62 or maybe
> the
> >factory only put them on when they felt like it or had some on hand.  Any
> >ideas?  BTW my car ('64) rolled out of the factory with the badge - as well
> >as a wood facia panel (dash).  Go figure.  :-)  Curiouser and curiouser !!
> >
> >Art Kelly '64 TR4 CT 33118L (original owner)
> >VTR TR4 vehicle consultant

Well, let us work backwards a bit. Later cars had a TR4 badge, and
presumably, early cars did not. The pictures to which allusions have
been made are early examples (presumably early production prototypes),
and do not have a TR4 badge. It's been twenty years since I saw my `62
TR4 intact (CT2334L), but I remember a TR4 badge on the lower right of
the trunk lid. It's worth mentioning that the front of the car had no
badges--only the block letters TRIUMPH were on the hood, and identical
block letters were on the lower edge of the trunk lid. How likely is it
that Triumph would have forgotten the TR4 logo on the entire car? It
doesn't appear anywhere else. It seems unlikely that a new model would
have been absent that badge. The easiest way to determine the likelihood
of a badge in the lower rear of the trunk lid is to look for evidence of
holes to mount the badge--if those holes are not present, the badge
wasn't installed--in which case, one has a very early car. (!)

Cheers.

--
My other Triumph runs, but....