Re: TR6 question

To: MMDBR@aol.com
Subject: Re: TR6 question
From: Paul Burr <tigerpb@ids.net>
Date: Sun, 23 Nov 1997 16:24:57 +0000
Cc: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
MMDBR@aol.com wrote:

> Hello fellow listers:
>
> My friend and TR3-4 mentor has purchased a `72 TR6 which has a problem he
> can't get on top of. The car car starts easily and runs perfectly at idle,
> but the warmer it gets, the worse it runs. When fully warm, it sputters,
> coughs, backfires, etc.
>
> Carbs have been adjusted, ignition seems correct. His next stab will be at
> the emissions system.
>
> Anybody out there run into this? Any and all input greatly appreciated.

Before you go nuts, I'd be inclined to check 3 things. 1.) The coil. An
old coil will often behave like you described when it fails. It's fine
when cold, but starts cutting out when it gets hot. 2.) Spark plugs.
Shut the cat down after you get into sputter mode. Remove a couple of
spark plugs. Are they fuel or oil fouled? Swap in a set that are the
next heat ranger hotter. This worked on my TR6. 3.) Is the choke
releasing fully? My choke cable developed a kink that prevented the
front carb from getting alll the way off the choke. Rough running was
the result of that kink.