Re: valve cover gaskets... A STORY NEVER BEFORE TOLD....

To: Gregory Petrolati <gpetrola@prairienet.org>
Subject: Re: valve cover gaskets... A STORY NEVER BEFORE TOLD....
From: Justin Wagner <jmwagner@greenheart.com>
Date: Mon, 24 Nov 1997 18:19:48 -0800
Cc: "Charles Y. Farwell" <cyf@bighorn.dr.lucent.com>, triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Gregory Petrolati wrote:

> On Mon, 24 Nov 1997, Charles Y. Farwell wrote:
>

> >       I'm tired of tearing up those cork ones. I seem to remember many
> >       months back someone hawking their custom made synthetic valve cover
> >       gaskets on this list. Does anyone recall this, or better yet, have
> >       experience with the product?
>

>         Get yours from British Frame and Engine... I got mine there at least
>         7 years ago and it STILL works fine!
>
>         Greg Petrolati

Greg,

Here's a story that has yet to be told... Yes, I had one of your type
gaskets on my first TR... and had it for years.  But even then I thought
it could be done better. (As it would tend to slip out from under the
cover at times....either slipping inward or outward...)

Nevertheless, when I purchased my current Triumph several years ago, I
DROVE to British Frame and Engine... he was not there... so I left a
note requesting a neoprene gasket.  Later, he called... and said they
were no longer available.  So I asked him to call me when if and when
they were... and that I would buy at least two for sure...  No word from
him for over a year... so...

I felt motivated to develope the gasket I had imagined 20 years prior,
before I had the technology and experience to make it happen.
(Coincidently, while my gasket was under development, I learned that
British Frame and Engine was selling their valve cover gasket once
more... but he had never followed up to let ME know...) I moved forward
with my product.  I believe it is a better gasket.  Some people have
retired their neoprene gaskets, after years of service, to upgrade to my
gasket.

There is something to be said for, "IF IT AIN'T BROKE, DON'T FIX IT", so
I can understand why you'd be happy with your current gasket...  but for
someone that's still using a cork gasket... and is finally willing to
stray from OEM, he might want to buy the lastest technology.  :)

--Justin
J.M.Wagner Sales, Ltd.
Los Angeles