Re: TR6 rear fenders

To: Chris Habasinski <chris@dbserver.miles33.com>
Subject: Re: TR6 rear fenders
From: Malcolm Walker <walker05@camosun.bc.ca>
Date: Tue, 25 Nov 1997 13:24:48 -0800 (PST)
Cc: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
On Tue, 25 Nov 1997, Chris Habasinski wrote:

> I'm trying to clean up the worst of the tin worm on my '76 TR6.
>
> How difficult is it to remove the rear fenders?

More than a weekend job.  Mine have been off for about a month with no
apparent sign of refit :-(

> Are they just bolted on?

Theoretically, yes.  But if any body shop has worked on them in the past,
beware of spot welds holding the top edge of the fender to the car.  I had
to expedite some careful surgery to get my (rusty!) fender off.  I also
had to scrounge up a 1/4 inch breaker bar and 6-point socket to get the
bolt at the tail light out.  It was too tight for a box/open end and not
enough clearance for a normal ratchet.

Don't overdo the bolts, it's nicer on your fender if you don't break them.

Of course, I've got a TR4 so perhaps the bolts are in a different place.
The top, bumper, and wheel had to come off (also the inside trims) before
I could get at all the bolts.

Good luck!

-Malcolm