TR6 Resto.Questions

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: TR6 Resto.Questions
From: Haeg1 <Haeg1@aol.com>
Date: Sat, 29 Nov 1997 14:14:13 EST
I would like to thank anyone who previously e-mailed me regarding the
restoration of my TR6.
Latest status:
1) The completely striped frame is at the welding shop. I am having the 2
sections that hold the IRS replaced. (purchased the repair pieces from Moss)
The welder is going to add support to the rear differential mounts.
Note: The welder pounded around on the frame all over with a pointy hammer.
Everything seems solid except for the trailing arm sections.
2) All the suspension pieces have been disassembled.
3) I have decided to have the frame and suspension pieces sandblasted.
4) I have purchased some POR15 that I will be hand brushing onto the frame. I
will then spray paint the frame and suspension parts gloss black. I'm not sure
what kind of paint yet.
5) The floor of the car is solid, but the outer sills will require
replacement. I plan on cleaning the underside of the floor down to the bare
metal using plastic fiber grinding wheels that 3M sells. (suggested by a guy
at work who does some body work) Then the floor will get metal prep., POR15
and paint.
Note: If this works out, I plan on doing the same thing to all the inner wheel
wells.

Latest Questions:
1) Should I replace all the nuts and bolts used on the suspension? I can
physically clean them up nice with the fine metal brush on my grinding wheel.
Is there something that I can dip them in so they do not rust?
2) I am looking for the best place to purchase mechanical parts. (I'm located
in the USA) I have a Moss catalog, and I am going to call the Roadster Factory
on Monday. Any other suggestions?
3) Is it recommended to add support to the two rear most differential
supports? The front two are getting boxed in for sure.

Long term Questions:
1) I'm still deciding if I should purchase a MIG welder or leave all the
welding to the body shop. I have to get the fenders off, and see how bad the
inner fenders are. The little kid in me wants to do some welding.
Note: The guy doing the welding on my frame works out of his house, and
charges $25 hour vs the professional welding shops around here that charge $50
hour. I was told by several sources that this guy does nice work.
2) I have to decide if the front and rear valence should be repaired or
replaced. This goes the same for the section in front of the rear trunk. They
have no rust holes, but there are patches of surface rust where they meet the
fenders.

Thanks for any advice,
John H. in Minneapolis
haeg1@aol.com