Re: Moral dilemma

To: John Schroth <jschroth@cyberdrive.net>
Subject: Re: Moral dilemma
From: "Robert J. Carley" <rcarley@uoguelph.ca>
Date: Sun, 30 Nov 1997 11:44:21 -0500 ()
Cc: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net

On Sun, 30 Nov 1997, John Schroth wrote:

> Advice needed on a Triumph Moral Dilemma:
> I have a '76 Spit that I've been restoring/driving for 5 years.  Looks
> great, but the body is mostly mud.  The motor is currently dis-assmebled
> and in need of new connecting rods and bearings (from an unfortunate oil
> presure problem).  I also have a disassembled '77 spit that is my source of
> parts.
> I received a call yesterday from a friend who is offering an '80 TR7 conv.
> with 10K orig. miles.  The car has sat since around '84.  Body is perfect,
> but it needs a floor.
> I only have room for one "project" car.
> Should I:
> A - pass on the TR7 and rebuild the Spit.
> B - Sell off the Spit and all associated parts and take the TR7.
> C - Complete the motor on the Spit and then sell it and all accoc. parts,
> then take the TR7.
> Any insight would be appreciated.

I guess this dilemma may revolve around the questions:  Do you want to
drive, or do you want to restore/rebuild?  Are you concerned about
personal responsibility/pleasure or are you concerned about the broader
implications to the British Car hobby of seeing one more Spitfire perhaps
ending up in the wrecking yard?

I know what my choice would be.....

Robert Carley
73 TR6