metrics smetrics

To: p.bird@virgin.net, triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: metrics smetrics
From: GuyotLeonF <GuyotLeonF@aol.com>
Date: Sun, 7 Dec 1997 13:28:46 EST
birdy <p.bird@virgin.net> wrote:
tolerance in inches, dimensions in mm.

We have a whole load of stuff like that over here.
fuel sold by the litre, gas mileage in MPG
Carpet length in feet, width in metres
all dimensions in mm, distance in miles
tyre size in mm, wheels in inches
There is a movement to convert all measurements over to metric to make
things easier. If we can handle both at the same time then why bother?
I know a KM is one thosand metres, I know a metre is 3'3" but I simply
cannot think of distance in KM. Everyone knows what a mile is but who
knows or cares what a KM is?
I know it's a little late but, my condolances Australia on your enforced
metric system. I hope it never happens here. I like being 5'11" not
1.81m.
birdy

Yeah,my TRiumphs run on Gallons,even if I'm forced to but the stuff in
Litres,(I just buy 4.5609 Litres instead of one Imperial Gallon-which BTW is
about the only thing-bigger in England than in the USA-our Gallons being 10%
bigger than theirs! Unfortunately ours are also 300% bigger in price!!!
It also irritates my Continental friends that I refuse to state my fuel
consumption to them in Litres/100km as is the norm on mainland Europe,sorry
chaps,but my car does X Miles per Gallon,it always did and it always will...
I also put air in my tyres in PSI not Kg/cubic metre or whatever,and mix my
Antifreeze solution in Gallons/Pints,whilst my 20W/50 engine oil goes into my
car in the same measurements!

Yes I fully understand the metric system,but by God,I don't have to agree with
it!
If people want to metricate themselves,then that's there business!
You ain't taking me alive,you hear!
Leon (5 feet,11.5 inches in his stocking feet,-size 8,and weighing in at 11
stone).
Herald 1200 Convertible (4 feet,6.25 inches-with 13 x 5.5 inch Cosmic Alloy
wheels,and weighing in at 16.3 cwt)
And living in a house built in 1895,with imperial sized
windows,doors,toilet,central heating system,wood  etc etc...just try buying
parts to fit in the local DIY store nowadays!

Last time I booked my Herald onto the car ferry,the lady selling me the ticket
said
"a Triumph Herald? how long is that?" I replied "it's 12 feet,8 and three
quarter inches long" and she said "can you tell me in metres?" to which I
retorted,"yes I can,but I'm not going to!" in the end she accepted "it's a
small car"
(you see you CAN do it!)

TRue story follows:When asked why it was taking Britain so many years to
become fully metricated,the head of the metrication board replied "Don't
worry,we're getting there,inch by inch"! (That sums it up nicely)

UNF rules! BTW,I never carry metric spanners/wrenches,and if I ever see anyone
go near my cars with metric nuts/bolts or setscrews!!!
Yesh!!!
Leon