Re: Spitfire Shimmy WAS:[Fwd: Re: brakes]

To: msecres@ibm.net, triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: Spitfire Shimmy WAS:[Fwd: Re: brakes]
From: "Atwell (Buff) Haines" <carbuff@scooter.net>
Date: Mon, 08 Dec 1997 09:45:46
At 01:41 AM 12/7/97 -0800, msecres@ibm.net wrote:
. I am experiencing a shimmy in the car at around 45 to
>> >50 mph. It is not consistant. It comes and goes. I have already replaced
>> >the front shocks, springs, ball joints, and several bushings, but the
>> >shimmy persists. My next thought is tires, although, the tires look
>> >good. They are Perreli brand. Any suggestions would be much appreciated.
>> >Thanks in advance...........................................Troy Johnson
>>
>> Troy,
>>
>> Driveline & suspension vibrations can be of numerous and varied causes.
>>
>> Since you suspect tires, lets start there.
>>
>> How old are your Pirellis?    Do they have nylon belts (look at the fine
>> print on the sidewalls)?   How often do you drive your Spitfire? When was
>> the last time you had the tires balanced or rotated and did that affect
>> your problem?  Are the wheel/tire assemblies  true (not wobbly, scraped or
>> bent)?
>>

>> Atwell (Buff) Haines
>> '79 Spitfire FM96062
>>
>> Succasunna, NJ USA
>> CarBuff@scooter.net
>> "There are three types of people in this world:
>> those that are good with numbers, and those that aren't."
>
>Vibrations caused by the driveline will not be sporadic and will only
increase with
>speed.
>
>When did you last have the front end aligned?
>
>--
>Martin Secrest
>73 GT6
>74 Spitfire

Thanks Martin,

You are right of course when you say  >Vibrations caused by the driveline
will not be sporadic and will only increase with
speed.<<  Thats why I homed in on the rolling components.

Changing out bushings and other mounting stuff _ Will_ change alignment.
Troy, do you feel the vibration as a side to side shimmy of the steering
wheel? If the car is just shaking, the problem may be in the rear....

Atwell