Flammable Fluids WAS: TR Spit: Front Crank Seal question

To: fred thomas <vafred@erols.com>, Brian Harper <brian@ati.com>
Subject: Flammable Fluids WAS: TR Spit: Front Crank Seal question
From: "Atwell (Buff) Haines" <carbuff@scooter.net>
Date: Mon, 08 Dec 1997 10:02:17
Cc: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
At 12:08 AM 12/7/97 -0800, fred thomas wrote:

>Brian, just a word of advice, do not ever use WD-40 around fire/heat,
>this stuff is almost as explosive as gasoline. I have a neighbor with
>2nd. degree burns over half of his body from WD-40 & heat, It EXPLODED
>on him under his car. Please be carefull all of you with these products.

I'll second what Fred says about using WD 40 and its flammability.

It's actually the propellant behind the spray can that can catch on fire.
In our younger days, we used to spray the WD40 then light the propellant
with a BIC lighter.  Quite a display!   Boy we were stupid then.  One guy I
worked with DID have a burn because of accidental ignition.

But I was thinking...what about a JATO (jet assisted take off) accessory
for an anemic Spitfire?    Hmmmm.

{Don't ask me how to make tennis-ball cannons out of soda cans and
isopropanol alcohol, either.)

Atwell "Nine-Fingers" Haines

'79 Spitfire