Re: Another Spit

To: Joe Curry <curry@wolfenet.com>, triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: Another Spit
From: "Douglas Mitchell" <dmitchel@ford.com>
Date: Tue, 9 Dec 1997 06:28:10 -0500 "Another Spit" (Dec 8, 9:53pm)
> Subject: Another Spit
> To All,
>
> I have uncovered yet another Spitfire that is for sale.  I hate to see
> people sell their LBC's but I guess they have their reasons.
>
> This particular car is a very early '73 1500 with 39,400 original
> miles.  It is pimento red and has all the receipts.  I am going to take
> a look at it later this week to be sure of the condition etc.
>
> Apparently it has a new top.
>
> One odd thing about this car is the markings.  The owner says that on
> the left rear quarter panel is a chrome emblem saying "Spitfire4".  On
> the right qtr. panel is a similar badge that says "Spitfire 1500".  The
> Deck Lid has no markings whatsoever.  And no holes from any removed
> markings.
>
> The owner is asking $3500 but says he is negotiable.  His phone number
> is 425-788-6460.
>
> Joe Curry   '63 Spit
>
> P.S. If anybody has seen those types of badge combinations let me know.
>-- End of excerpt from Joe Curry

Joe,

The '73 Spit didn't have any badges on the boot lid. The Spitfire 1500
badge is the correct style, and there should be one on the bonnet as
well. If it is an early '73, the commission number should be in the
FMxxxx range. Some of the early 1500s had some strange combinations.
The is a '74 in Ohio that has the same halfshafts as the Mk IVs, and
the original owners claim that they have never been changed!

Cheers,

Doug Mitchell
dmitchel@ismi.net
dmitchel@ford.com