Re: Unleaded Fuel

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: Unleaded Fuel
From: Egil Kvaleberg <egil@kvaleberg.no>
Date: Sun, 14 Dec 1997 10:33:13 GMT
On 14 Dec 1997, GuyotLeonF wrote:

> until such time as I remove the cylinder
> head and discover that the valves in my hideously expensive and beautifully
> gas-flowed cylinder-head are too big to allow the insertion of valve seats!!!

Wouldn't think so. If the valves are very close, the exhaust seat may have
to be fitted "into" the inlet seat, but that should not be a problem.

> they were professionally fitted by
> heating the head casting and shrinking the seats in ? liquid nitrogen?,however
> when the engine attained its' normal operating temperature,they fell out and
> stuffed pistons etc...

Sorry, the above sentence contains a contradiction. If the seats fell out
when reaching operating temperature, they could not possibly have been
"professionally fitted".

Depending in what you mean you mean by "professionally", of course.
Normally I would interpret that as "being done by someone who is skilled
and knows their profession". If you by "professional" mean "any charlatan
that charges for his work", then yes, it makes sense.

To conclude: If the seats fall out, you have been conned, nothing more,
nothing less. Correctly fitted valve seats should not fall out. Period.

> Does anyone have any further thoughts on all this grief ?

Find a proper "professional" do to the work for you.

Egil
--
Email: egil@kvaleberg.no Voice: +47 22523641, 92022780 Fax: +47 22525899
Snail: Egil Kvaleberg, Husebybakken 14A, 0379 Oslo, Norway