Re: Spitfire headers

To: Dave Simpson <dsimpson@ds2.ncweb.com>
Subject: Re: Spitfire headers
From: Joe Curry <curry@wolfenet.com>
Date: Sun, 14 Dec 1997 15:59:32 -0800
Cc: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net

Dave Simpson wrote:

> To: List
>
>     I just spent the afternoon installing a new set headers on my 1976
> Spitfire.

Dave,
I bought the chrome header from Vickie Brit and the Monza exhaust from JCW.
Here's what I found.

1. To install the header. the engine must be lifted off its mounts to clear
the frame.
2. The header tends to contact the bolt where the lower A-arm attaches at
the rear.  I had to saw off the bolt to keep down the rattle.
3. I used two 45 degree exhaust pipes of the correct size to span the
distance from the header adapter to the input of the Monza system.  By
rotating the pieces they are somewhat adjustable and can be easily fit then
clamped.
4. I had to install some rear mounts on the Spit to take the monza tubes.
The '63 did not have the right kind of hangers for the Exhaust I used.

But it was rather easy to fit and it works very well.  I love the sound of
the Monza and I'm sure the openness of the system adds to the performance of
the engine.

Joe Curry   '63 Spit (1500)