Re: TR6 engine to Bellhousing Attachments

To: "Robert M. Lang" <blang@MIT.EDU>
Subject: Re: TR6 engine to Bellhousing Attachments
From: Peter J Barrance <pjb@eagle.gsh.jhu.edu>
Date: Tue, 16 Dec 1997 09:12:49 -0500 (EST)
Cc: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Thanks for the info. This seems to be the consensus, and any info to the
contrary may have come from people looking at cars that hadn't been
put back together properly(?)

I've got a really early engine # - CC 4xxxE - I think it was a TR250
engine originally? Anyway there weren't the bigger bolts in it, but I
found that there are 3/8" holes at 2 and 7. Not having the special dowel
bolt (?) available I just  used the bigger size in those ones hoping it
would have the 'locating' effect. They seemed to be snug in their holes
anyway so I think it'll be all right. By the way, the Moss part # quoted
in the Tech Tip in the catalog seems to correspond to a stud (one of the
top bellhousing ones I think), and TRF didn't have a price for that part
# so I guess it's NLA or whatever. VB didn't seem to have it either.

Thanks again.

Pete

PS I'll post this to triumphs if OK by you.

On Mon, 15 Dec 1997, Robert M. Lang wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Regarding your posting to the Triumphs list about the attachement of the
> studs for the engine to transmission interface:
>
> There were two bolts at 2 and 7 that were more or less pressed into the
> engine rear "plate" on all of the TR6's that I have taken apart. I'm pretty
> sure the bolts were 3/8 instead of the 5/16 bolts that are used for almost
> all the other bellhousing attachment bolts...
>
> When I took the engine out of my original '74, a "friend" said to me that
> the bolts were not original. Wrong.
>
> At any rate - look for two bolts in your collection of fasteners that are a
> little fatter and about the same length as your other bolts that attach to
> the engine plate. The bolts were pressed in so that the head faces the
> front of the car.
>
> I have not tried re-installing the bolts on those engine plates that have
> had all the bolts removed.
>
> Good Luck,
> rml
> TR6 CF14111U (mine, all mine!)

Peter Barrance
Johns Hopkins University Orthopaedic Biomechanics Lab
5601 Loch Raven Blvd 4N
Baltimore, MD 21239

Phone: (410) 532-4486  Fax: (410) 532-4488
Email: pjb@eagle.gsh.jhu.edu               http://www.biomech.jhu.edu