TR2/3 How Many are left?

To: Triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: TR2/3 How Many are left?
From: EPaul21988 <EPaul21988@aol.com>
Date: Tue, 16 Dec 1997 09:35:44 EST
List;
Following up on a helpful tip by another list member I contacted the
Automotive Information Clearinghouse and purchased information on the TR2 and
the TR3/3A regarding how many of these cars are left.  I inquired how they
arrive at their estimates and was given a faily convincing explanation. In a
nutshell, all cars are issued a title at first sale, all titles are held
'open' by all State MVDs (Motor Vehicle Departments) until notified by a
wrecking yard that the car has been destroyed.  They, ( the AIC) have access
to all this MVD info. in an arrangement with each State and the insurance
industry.  The total number of each model is known and deductions are made
from this total as wrecker's certificates are sent in. That running total or
balance indicates what's left of that model.  Sounds simple enough.

 I figured that this estimate could be very high, since lots of cars are left
to rust in owner's back yards or are parted out by enthusiasts who might frame
the title for the wall but not sent it to the MVD, hence those cars would
never be removed from AICs master list, but would be 'gone'.

AIC states ( they say this is NOT an estimate but a fact) that there are a
total of 1,009 Triumph TR3 , 3As and 3Bs left in the United States !!!!
According to the AIC there are only 311 TR2's left in the US.  !!  This is
1,320 left out of the 83,500 cars made.  This is less than a 2% survival rate.
Is this possible ??

According to Bill Piggott of the Triumph Register in England, they have 1,110
of the TR2/3  cars registered.

I was guessing about 25,000 TR2/3s left in the US based on the numbers from
the Triumph Register.

Oh.  I also got value and growth estimates on the TR2 & TR3 from the AIC.
TR2
Average  $5,055
Well Maintained $9,925
Excellent $12,715
-3.9% past year,  predicted up .7% this year

TR3 (includes 3,3A.3B as these were not differentiated by model)
AVerage  $4,990
Well Maintained $7,935
Excellent  $12,420
-3.7% past year
+ 1.1% next year

Anyone know how many of these models are registered wlith VTR or TRA ?

Bob Paul
Corrales NM