the devil replies - TR cylinder heads

To: jruwaldt@indiana.edu
Subject: the devil replies - TR cylinder heads
From: Dave Terrick <dterrick@pangea.ca>
Date: Wed, 17 Dec 1997 13:10:16 -0600
Cc: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
James (and list)

As the owner of the GT6 from Hell, I must be the devil.   Ha ha, but
seriously,  in reply to your Devil's advocate position on heads, in fact BL
DID make a special North American head and it WAS precisely for the 6 cyl
when first imported.

History books show th petrol injection was "unable" to meet the new 1968
emissions "laws" (guidelines?!?) and a pair of emission control Strombergs
was hastily cobbled up.  Everyone else got injection.

Oddly, there must have been a separate casting because the port spacing of
the intake manifold on the head is different on the Tr250 and 6 up to
(about) 1972.  Then, we got the "late" head which was in fact  a lower
compression version of the ROTW's.  It also had a smaller exhaust valve.

GT6's in mark II and on (1968+) always used the euro casting but at a
higher compression.

Dave Terrick
Winnipeg