Re: Refitting clutch on '79 Spitfire.

To: Michael Holmes <mholmes@sirius.com>
Subject: Re: Refitting clutch on '79 Spitfire.
From: Zink <zink@pdq.net>
Date: Tue, 23 Dec 1997 13:46:17 -0600
Cc: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Michael Holmes wrote:

>  I've replaced the clutch plates and am now trying to refit the
> bellhousing and gear box back onto the engine.  I've used a dowell as
> centering tool for the driven plate.  I can't seem to get the splines
> of
> the shaft into the splined opening in the clutch plate.  Any
> suggestions?  Most appreciated.  My e-mail is above.
> Thanks again.
>
> Mike.

Mike,

Make sure the tranny is in gear. When you align the input shaft with the
flywheel, you can rotate the tail shaft to align the splines.  This is
easily done with two people and the car on jack stands.  One person
under the car lifting the front of the tranny and guiding it in to
position. The other person in the car pushing the unit in place and
turning the shaft to align the splines.  I am going to assume that you
already have the rear of the motor jacked into the approximate normal
location of mounting.  If it is then you can adjust the height by
raising and lowering the jack to compensate your alignment.  This helps
tremendously.

Larry Zink
1964 Spitfire4 Mk1
Houston