Re: Strombergs

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: Strombergs
From: "Keith A. Edwards" <kedwards@norfolk.infi.net>
Date: Thu, 25 Dec 1997 22:02:42 -0500
Cc: JAMES_S_WALLACE@HP-Canada-om1.om.hp.com, Isaac Crow <Isaac@Avana.Net>
JAMES_S_WALLACE@HP-Canada-om1.om.hp.com wrote:

>Tom,
>This may be a long shot, but if you're scrounging around wrecker's
>yards or know people with spare parts, Volvos switched from SUs to
>Strombergs in 68 or 69. They were 175 CD2s, which I think is what you
>need. Finding them likely won't be that tough; it's whether the
>details are right that I'm not sure of. They were used on the last
>122s (or the station wagon version, the 220), and the early 140 series
>up to maybe 1973.
>I know this from having owned many Volvos before being converted to
>LBCs. When I sold my last Volvo - a 1969 P1800 - last year, I insisted
>the guy take the loads of spare parts I had accumulated over the
>years. Then I got the into Triumphs, only to discover I could have
>used some of the stuff: tires, carbs, some brake parts...live and
>learn.

Isaac Crow <Isaac@Avana.Net> wrote:

James,

>I have set of big, OLD SU's with a Volvo manifold.  Do you have any idea
>of what they would be worth to either a Volvo or Triumph owner? Or how
>to identify what Volvo they came from?
>I appreciate any insight you might have, as I know nothing about Volvos.

I can't speak to the value of the carbs.  However, I can remember
_giving_ a pair of 175CD Strombergs from a 1964 TR4 to a friend with a
1970 Volvo 144 Wagon (back in the early 1980s)  The Volvo had 175CD-SEs,
and they were giving him fits.

He had to rig up something funny in the linkage, since the butterflies
swung the opposite directions.

I also remember a girlfriend (in the 1970s) with a 1961 Volvo 122S.  It
had the same HS6s as my 1967 TR4A, except they were swapped front to
rear, necessitating a double (Y?) choke cable.  Much work I performed on
that car.

I pass this along in case it helps any Triumph folks sourcing
carburetors.

Keith Edwards
Suffolk, VA  USA
kedwards@norfolk.infi.net