RE: TR3 head removal

To: "'Andrew Mace'" <amace@unix2.nysed.gov>
Subject: RE: TR3 head removal
From: Chris Prugh <prubrew@ix.netcom.com>
Date: Tue, 30 Dec 1997 13:05:27 -0800
Cc: "'Triumph List'" <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>
Andy wrote:

Hope the medication is doing its job, Chris! :-)

Meanwhile, a word of caution -- or maybe not. On the "wet-liner" engines
such as the TR3 and TR4, I'm just wondering if the rope trick is a good
idea. Most of the manuals detail all kinds of cautions about disturing
the liners by turning the crank/pistons while the head is off or loose.
The reason is the risk of damaging the seal of the figure-8 gaskets at
the bottom of the liners, thereby necessitating more disassembly and
renewing of items that one might have otherwise anticipated doing.

I'm just wondering if the otherwise great rope trick might contribute to
this problem. Any real-world experience out there on this task with the
wet-liner engines?

--Andy

Andy,

        Thanks for the concern.  I am glad you caught this, I have never tried
the "rope trick"
on a wet sleeved motor.  To be safe, the preferable option, although much more
tedious,
is the method Joe and others suggested...double nutting and backing out the
stud itself.
Better to take the time and effort involved therein, as opposed to possible
damage to liners et al.

Sorry for the ill-thought out suggestion, I must go now...the nurses are here

""""""medicationnnnnnn"""""""""

ps.  Andy, did you get the Tales and Trails newsletter?  I added you and the
other VTR
guys to the mailing list

Chris Prugh
72 Spitfar