Coil Information

To: Charlie@wolfenet.com, Brown@wolfenet.com
Subject: Coil Information
From: Joe Curry <curry@wolfenet.com>
Date: Wed, 31 Dec 1997 00:14:33 -0800
Cc: Triumph Mail List <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>
Charlie,
After much additional looking, I finally located the installation
leaflet to the Crane Electronic Ignition.  The second sentence in the
leaflet states, "The XR700 requires ballast resistance to limit coil
current."

Further down in the document it states,  "All vehicles with O.E.
(original equipment) breaker points ignition are factory equipped with
ballast resistance.  This can be in the form of a ceramic ballast
resistor or a resistance wire between the ignition key and COIL+
terminal.  It can also be in the form of internal ballast resistance
within the coil.  All Bosch blue coils and Lucas coils have internal
resistance.  Coils with internal resistance will measure 3 to 4 ohms
from COIL- to COIL+ terminals."

XR700 BALLAST RESISTANCE NOTES
1. If you are installing the O.E. coil, you do not need to do anything
as far as the ballast resistance...

2. If you are changing coils and your vehicle has a ceramic baallast
resistor or resistance wire, do not use any additional ballast resistor
that may be provided with the coil.

3. If your O.E. coil had internal resistance any you are changing to a
new coil with lower resistance (such as an aftermarket performance
coil), you must add a 1.2 to 1.9 ohm ballast resistor.  If a resistor is
not supplied with the new coil, use a Chrysler style two terminal
ballast resistor such as Echlin ICR23 or Wells CR107.  Connect the
ballast resistor between the COIL+ terminal and the ignition switch.

So, I think that pretty well covers the Spitfire series.  Early ones
have internal resistive coils, mid productions (MKIV) have external
ballast resistore (Located somewhere???), and the later ones have
resistive wires from the ignition switch to the COIL+ terminal.

Now that we've thoroughly beaten the subject to death, I am going to
bed.

Regards,
Joe Curry    (Tired from a fun day of Spitting around Seattle)