Re: help!!

To: KEVIN EDDINS <eddinsk@NRISO.NOLA.NAVY.MIL>
Subject: Re: help!!
From: "Thomas A. Strange" <jantoms@vbe.com>
Date: Wed, 04 Mar 1998 18:41:35 -0800
Cc: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
KEVIN EDDINS wrote:

> Jon Moody wrote:
>
> A little over a month ago, my car started sputtering really badly.  This
> happened after I hadn't driven it for about 1.5 months (maybe more--I
> think my car is getting even w/ me for negelecting it!!)  I should also
> mention that there seems to be some loss in power but this may be
> cause
> it sputters so bad when I rev it.
>
> Any thoughts?
> >>>>>>>>>>>

> It may be a long shot, but it sounds like a blown head gasket to me.  If
> you've checked the carbs and the car doesn't gain power at any time,
> then it would be worth checking into.
>
> Kevin

Jon,
  If Kevin is right (could well be.....) a compression test will
probably  confirm it.  If you have two adjacent cylinders low & the
others high, you may well have a gasket blown, between cylinders.
Another way a head gasket (or head or block) could go is between a
cylinder & the water jacket.  In this case, you should be getting a nice
white cloud of smoke from the exhaust.
  It could also be something like a timing chain problem.  Check the
ignition timing.  If it has suddenly moved, the timing chain may have
jumped a tooth.
  Lets hope for something easier, like a bad coil, bad plug wires,
slipped points, bad distributor cap (or maybe moisture in the cap & or
wires?) etc.  Ck the electrics closely, then look at the carb for
lacquer buildup problems etc, then check the major components, like
timing chain, valves, head & gasket etc.
Hopefully it is something easy to deal with.

Tom Strange, Classic Autosports Ltd., Appleton, Wi., 920-733-5013