Re: Stiff brakes

To: Scott Decker <sdecker@bellsouth.net>
Subject: Re: Stiff brakes
From: msecres@ibm.net
Date: Thu, 30 Apr 1998 18:23:23 -0400
Cc: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Scott Decker wrote:

> My 'new' GT6 is coming along nicely.  Thanks for all who have helped so far
> on misc. problems.  While I'm at it, I have a brake question:  the brake
> effort on this car is extremely high.  I've owned two previous GT6's (last
> one 12 years ago) and don't recall it being that stiff.  I understand the
> +'s have a servo and that they fail easily, and once failed are usually
> 'removed' by the PO.  How can I tell if the servo has failed, and if so,
> replace it?
>
> Opinions and comments welcome.  If this hasn't already been beat to death,
> post it to the list.  Otherwise, just reply directly.
>
> Thanks everyone for the vast store of technical knowledge out there, and
> your willingness to share!
>
> Later,
>
> Scott Decker
> 70 GT6+ KD79034L

Scott:

If you have to stand on the brakes to stop the car, if often indicates
general brake system problems.  Check out the whole system, beginning
with the front discs.  It is possible, but unlikely, that you have a
bent line somewhere, restricting the fluid flow.  And for what it's
worth, my GT6 had its servo removed by the PO, but the braking is
perfectly acceptable ... in fact, I don't think the servo was even
included with GT6's until the Mark 3 version ...

--
Martin Secrest
73 GT6