Re: Embarrassed to show drivers?

To: William Elliott <William.Elliott@mail.mei.com>
Subject: Re: Embarrassed to show drivers?
From: fred thomas <vafred@erols.com>
Date: Thu, 30 Apr 1998 17:39:05 -0700
Cc: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
William Elliott wrote:

> "David Hill" wrote:
>
> <<3)  Anyone else too embarrased to go to any of the car shows because your
> car looks like crap?
>
> What??? Your Spit is running and has a wheel on each corner, hasn't it? Here
> in the UK, we get all sorts at shows. Some cars have had money thrown at
> them until they shine. Some are the result of long hours of sweated labour.
> Some are in mid-rolling rebuild and some are just plain rough. The point is
> that no car in everyday use will ever be in top concours condition. Go
> ahead, get it shown.>>
>
> Agree completely here!  Drivers and other "non-show condition" cars
> probably attract more new enthusiasts than any other type.  Most people
> just entering the "old car" world have neither the skills, money, or
> inclination to immediately buy or build a concours car. I always have
> more respect for a "driven" car.
>
> If I have any criticism of the vintage British car "family", it's the attitude
> in
> some circles of "looking down one's nose" at less than stellar cars.  In
> the Corvair world (another place I hang out), there is much less
> attention paid to the condition of the cars and more to the "hobby" aspect.
> Some shows have awards for "worst looking car that made it to the
> show under it's own power".  (Populated by true "beaters" , "in
> progress" vehicles, and simply "daily drivers".)  Sometimes this is
> more hotly contested than the "Best of Show"... and almost always
> gets more crowd attention.
>
> In the Bowie, MD British car day a couple of years ago, someone
> showed up with a "project" TR250.  Showed it with the other
> "restored" 250's... complete with "Under Construction" warning
> signs and yellow "Construction Zone" barrier tape.  I thought it
> was brilliant and got more attention than any of the other cars.
>
> Drive and show those cars!
>
> Bill Elliott
> Lake Mills, WI
> TR6, Corsa, and other toys well driven

The car & the shows should be one thing and one thing only, the getting
together of people with the same interest LBC'S. It is so enjoyable at a
show to share experiences, swap advice, give some knowledgeable advice,
enjoy the people as much as the cars. I would rather have the friendship
of just one hobbiest than any show car. If its at a show someone saved it
from the scrape yard and that is the true nature of this hobby, there is
a place for every car and the condition & looks of it are no ones
business but the owners, enjoy every one of them no matter what. my .02