Re: Spitfire Fuel Flow Rate

To: Joe Curry <spitlist@gte.net>
Subject: Re: Spitfire Fuel Flow Rate
From: Edward Hamilton <hamilton@ptd.net>
Date: Fri, 01 May 1998 22:21:41 -0400
Cc: Mark Milotay <otmc@bc1.com>, triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Joe,
A single Stromberg with the following modifications:  "....all the emission
passages on the right hand side of the carburetor are blocked off either
with aluminum plugs or epoxy.  Fill the holes in the carburetor throat as
smoothly as possible thus reducing the amount of sanding and polishing
afterward.  The throttle shaft is thinned down to approximately one-half its
diameter by filing flats on either side, pop-rivet the throttle in place,
silver solder the whole assembly, and afterward lightly grind the pop-rivets
flush with the shaft.  Leave the choke assembly on the left side of the
carburetor intact as this will assist starting.  The fuel inlet valve is
replaced with a 2.5 #12855.  Fuel pressure of 3.5 - 5.0 P.S.I. can be used
if the modified float spindle #B22561 and spring #B22562 are fitted.....The
carburetor body is taper bored from stock size at the bridge to 1.530" at
the intake flange.....The bridge is lowered .100" by boring in the lathe.
The carburetor is mounted to the manifold with a 3/16" aluminum spacer plate
with grooves on either side to accept 'O' rings."
When speaking of the fuel system, the manual references the use of a Holly
Model P6145 fuel pump, which is a low pressure high output type pump.  It
further states that this set up is imperative with a high consumption single
carburetor.

Since the original question dealt with twin HS4's, I'll go back to sleep
now.

Regards,
Ed