Re: Spitfire Fuel Flow Rate

To: otmc@bc1.com
Subject: Re: Spitfire Fuel Flow Rate
From: Bob Sykes <s1500@worldnet.att.net>
Date: Sat, 02 May 1998 07:33:07 -0700
Cc: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Hi Mark,

I had (have) the same problem.  (HS4s flooding float chambers)
I replaced all the (usual) suspect parts to no avail.  A fuel pressure
regulator (purolator) dialed in to the lowest setting did not solve the
problem either.  I believe the problem is (at least in part) radiant
heat from the exhaust system.  There's a little more to it that I won't
go into now, but to help determine if you have the same problem as I,
a couple of questions:

Does it only happen on warm days, after the engine has warmed up?
What type of exhaust manifold are you using?  A header?
Does the car run fine when the engine is not hot (but warm enough for
the choke to be fully in)?
You don't have the infamous Wax-stat (Cap-stat) jets on these carbs
do you?

Sorry, more questions than answers at this point, but I fought this
problem for about a year.  There are more variables than it appears.
FWIW the fuel pressure regulator is necessary, but not sufficient
to correct this problem.

--
Bob Sykes
"You can't beat your brains for entertainment."