Re: Tales of the jumping gas nozzle

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: Tales of the jumping gas nozzle
From: Justin Wagner <jmwagner@greenheart.com>
Date: Tue, 05 May 1998 22:10:23 -0700
I thought it was sort of self-evident that you shouldn't leave a fuel
nozzle to self-fill on an early Triumph.

A. You don't get the sort of positive connection that you do with side
mount or modern filler necks...

B. Being in the center of the rear of the car... you're talking about
laying hoseline across your car...

C. KNOWING these things tend to bounce/jerk when done... wouldn't you
assume that it might jump out one day?

D.  IF you fill it all the way, on a hot day... there's a good chance
the fuel will heat up and just start overflowing!!!  (As the fuel has
been down, underground, in a cool tank... and the TR's tank is high,
vulnerable to heat build up in the boot, etc.)

E. If it does pop out... fuel all over the place is not only damaging...
but could lead to an explosion/death/etc.

F. ETC.!!!

I'm glad this issue came up... I would have never thought that anyone
was doing this.  I don't remember ever leaving the fuel to self-fill on
my TR's over the years.

Even if you've done it without a problem for years... I suggest you
start doing it by hand.

--Justin