RE: Trailering a TR

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: RE: Trailering a TR
From: "Musson, Carl" <musson@satie.arts.usf.edu>
Date: Wed, 1 Jul 1998 15:06:25 -0400
Richard,
Which TR?  Assuming the '3.

Car is about 12 1/2' so your clearance is only 1 1/2'.  I would pull it
almost to the front rail as you want more weight forward of the axle(s).
The engine works very nicely for that  :^)  You didn't say whether it is
a single or double axle.  If it is a double, so much the better as you
won't have any problem with weight distribution.

TR weighs about 2,100; trailer probably in the 1,500 range so be sure
your pulling vehicle can handle the load.  (Be sure to figure in any
weight you might be carrying in the back of pickup if that is the case.)

Tie-downs:  there are special ones you can get for the tire/wheels.  I
didn't feel it necessary to spend the $'s since I had a set of 2,000
#rs. Mine were about 1 1/2 inch wide webbing with ratchet setup and S
hooks at both ends.  Pull them real snug and the car won't go anywhere.
I drilled two holes on the front and back for the S hooks to fit in and
looped the webbing over the crossmember in front and I don't remember
what in the back.  Main thing is not to put pressure on a moving part -
suspension, steering, etc.

Hope this helps.
Later,
Carl F. Musson,
        You can't tell which way the car went
        by just looking at the road...
        TR3A's - TS25264L ('58 Driver)
        & TS81802LO - ('61 Body-off in progress)
        Tampa, Florida (USA)
        http://www.arts.usf.edu/~musson/triumph/
<http://www.arts.usf.edu/~musson/triumph/>