Re: Trailering a TR

To: "Richard Triplett" <rtriplett@bjservices.com>, <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Re: Trailering a TR
From: "Bob Kramer" <rgk@flash.net>
Date: Wed, 1 Jul 1998 17:23:40 -0600
I use a 16' trailer and I made up a chain for the front of the trailer
and use 2 - 5000lb (2.5") nylon ratcheting tie down in the back. I
drive the car on engine first, hook up the chain around the center
brace on the trailer and link to the tie down hooks (TR6) or around the
swaybar (TR3). I then roll the car back to tighten up the chain. I set
the chain length to get the weight fairly balanced over the tandem
axles. I then ratchet the car rearwards with the H.D. tie downs.

I wouldn't use the "S" hook variety. I once was rear-ended with a TR6
on the trailer. The s-hooks bent open (then the nylon broke). I was
lucky to have a set of tires in front of the car or it may have
launched into the back of the van I was towing with. My current trailer
has electric brakes and it's a joy compared to others I've rented.

Bob Kramer, Austin TX
Hill Country Triumph Club
TR6's, TR250's, TR3A vintage race
rgk@flash.net

----------
> From: Richard Triplett <rtriplett@bjservices.com>
> To: triumphs@autox.team.net
> Subject: Trailering a TR
> Date: Wednesday, July 01, 1998 12:47 PM
>

> Yesterday I bought a 14 foot flat-bed trailer to pull my TR, and was
> wondering if anyone has any tips for trailering the car; such as what
types
> of tie-downs to use, how to distribute the weight, which is better, a

> tonneau or top? etc. I plan to use nylon ties rated for 2000 Lb, will
that
> suffice? I'll be taking a Fourth of July trip to Cloudcroft, New
Mexico and
> plan to drive over to Ruidoso, any one going that way this weekend?
Before