Re: SU Needles and things

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: SU Needles and things
From: Egil Kvaleberg <egil@kvaleberg.no>
Date: Thu, 2 Jul 1998 06:20:46 GMT
On 1 Jul 1998, David Hill wrote:

> >I would think 23 mpg is not bad for a 70's 2.5l car - I average around that
> sort
> >of figure.

If we are talking stop/start town driving, yes. For steady speed 60 MPH or
thereabouts, it is far too much. With the 2.5 PI you should be able to
get close to 28 MPG (1 litre per 10 km as I measure it), and even better
if you drive carefully.

In lieu of our international readership, I assume we are all talking
imperial MPG here.

> Nevertheless, the
> car still has black plugs

Black plugs, assuming they are in the right heat range, are a sure sign
that you are running far too rich.

> Of course, I respect your figures and stand to be corrected. I have a '74
> road test of the 2.5S and the tester at 'Motor' got 22.2mpg overall and a
> calculated 26.8mpg touring consumption.

The 2.5S (with twin SUs) has, despite far less power, approx. the same
consumption as the PI.

Egil
--
Email: egil@kvaleberg.no  Voice: +47 22523641, 92022780 Fax: +47 22525899
Snail: Egil Kvaleberg, Husebybakken 14A, 0379 Oslo, Norway