Re: Re. Injector Strip

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: Re. Injector Strip
From: Egil Kvaleberg <egil@kvaleberg.no>
Date: Thu, 2 Jul 1998 05:24:16 GMT
On 1 Jul 1998, David Hill wrote:

> My car's injectors were replaced ten years ago and I suspect that they are
> not opening and closing cleanly.

In stead of guessing, these things are indeed very easy to check. Just
undo the 3 clamps on the throttle bodies, and while the engine is running
at idle, take out the injectors one by one and observe the quality of the
spray. It should be a fine and even cone, with no sputtering. You can alse
see if it drips excessively. Due to the fire hazard, do this in the open,
BTW.

I seriously doubt you are in need of a new set of injectors - they tend
to last for a long time. The two main problems with injectors are dirt
being trapped in the outlet valve (esp. in #2 and #5) -- easily cleaned
out by opening them manually and blowing the dirt away. The other problem
is the O-ring seal between the inner and outer tube getting hard, which
causes leaks.

You'll find a PI trouble shooting guide and tips on how to check your PI
via:

        http://www.kvaleberg.com/t2000.html

The only piece of "sophisticated" equipment you need is a $15 vacuum
meter.

The primary reason for heavy fuel consumption is insufficient vacuum due
to leaks or something amiss with the engine itself.

Egil
--
Email: egil@kvaleberg.no  Voice: +47 22523641, 92022780 Fax: +47 22525899
Snail: Egil Kvaleberg, Husebybakken 14A, 0379 Oslo, Norway