Re: Spit 1500 Brake Light Weirdness

To: "Ross L. Kodner" <rkodner@ix.netcom.com>
Subject: Re: Spit 1500 Brake Light Weirdness
From: msecres@ibm.net
Date: Fri, 03 Jul 1998 08:43:56 -0400
Cc: spitfires@Autox.Team.Net, triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Ross L. Kodner wrote:

> Greetings,
>
> This is my first post to this list. I have a wonderful '78 Spitfire 1500
> that has a problem . . . and an opportunity <g>.
>
> The problem is that when I took it out of storage last month, everything
> worked, as usual . . . except for the brake lights. The taillights work,
> but no brake lights. I have no idea what be causing this since obviously
> the bulbs and rear-end wiring seems fine. Anyone have this problem or have
> some thoughts about it?
>
> The opportunity - it's time to replace the exhaust with something that
> sounds great--I'm tired of it sounding like a lawn mower engine. Any
> recommendations on a reasonably priced exhaust system that sounds great?
>
> Thanks in advance,
> Ross

Ross:

As per the exhaust system, beware what you buy.  The Ansa (sp?) system,
for instance, always gets complaints on this list for being too loud, so
much so that after a short time one becomes fatigued from the noise.
Personally, I think the stock system is just about right -- the right
note, and not too much of it.  But look around and ask a lot of
questions before you put something else in.

As for your brake lights, a common Spitfire problem is that the point
where the bulb assembly meets the metal lens backing plate can become
"corroded," causing a loss of continuity.  It won't LOOK corroded, but
take some emery paper, or a round file, and hit the edges of the bulb
holder and inside the backing plate.  If that brings your lights back,
coat the edges with Vaseline, and you're back in business.

--
Martin Secrest
74 Spitfire