Re: Spit 1500 Brake Light Weirdness

To: <msecres@ibm.net>, "Ross L. Kodner" <rkodner@ix.netcom.com>
Subject: Re: Spit 1500 Brake Light Weirdness
From: "Dan Masters" <DANMAS2@worldnet.att.net>
Date: Fri, 3 Jul 1998 13:20:09 -0400charset="iso-8859-1"
Cc: <spitfires@Autox.Team.Net>, <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>
Ross L. Kodner wrote:

> Greetings,
>
> This is my first post to this list. I have a wonderful '78 Spitfire 1500
> that has a problem . . . and an opportunity <g>.
>
> The problem is that when I took it out of storage last month, everything
> worked, as usual . . . except for the brake lights. The taillights work,
> but no brake lights. I have no idea what be causing this since obviously
> the bulbs and rear-end wiring seems fine. Anyone have this problem or have
> some thoughts about it?

Ross,

Take a look at your brake switch. There are two terminals on it, one with
one or more green wires, and one with a green/purple wire. First, jumper
between the two terminals with a short piece of wire, with the key on. If
the lights work, then you have a bad switch. If not, then you are either
missing power to the switch, you have a break in the green/purple wire, or
you have a bad ground. To check for power, look for 12 volts on the green
wire.

If you don't have 12 volts, then there is a break in the wire somewhere in
the wiring harness or at the connector, (since everything else works, you
know it is not the fuse). If it is not the connector (terminal), you will
need to provide a new source of power, as it is very difficult to find the
break and repair it. Just find a convenient terminal somewhere under the
dash with a green wire on it, and connect a piece of wire from that terminal
to the brake switch, after checking to be sure that power is available at
that green wire.

If you do have 12 volts on the green wire, check for 12 volts on the
green/purple wire (with the key on and the brake depressed). If you don't
have voltage here, then you have a bad switch as well as other problems.
Once you're sure the switch is ok, or have replaced it, move to the back of
the car and look for 12 volts on the green/purple wire at the back of the
brake light sockets. If you don't have 12 volts here, then there is a break
in the green/purple wire, and you will have to run a new wire from the
switch.

If you do have 12 volts, and this is the most likely problem, then you have
a bad ground connection in the socket itself. Very carefully clean all
ground connections, making sure there is no paint over the ground
connections to the body.

If the problem isn't solved by now, you have bad bulbs, which I'm sure you
checked first, or serious spooks in the wiring, which will require the
services of a shaman.

Dan Masters,
Atlanta, GA (for the weekend)