Re: Crane electronic/timing woes

To: <msecres@ibm.net>
Subject: Re: Crane electronic/timing woes
From: "unicorn7" <unicorn7@mail.icnet.net>
Date: Sat, 4 Jul 1998 23:51:42 -0500charset="us-ascii"
Cc: "Triumphs" <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>
Which crane unit did you get,  the XR700 or the XR3000?  Also, since I don't
know the answer to the next question, is the Lucas sport coil internally or
externally ballasted. This is important because if it's externally ballasted
and you have an XR700 and you didn't hook up the ballast, you could be in
for a whole heap of trouble.   So, if the vacuum lines are all reattached
properly and you didn't destroy the vacuum advance in your distributor , the
unit is grounded properly, the correct wire is spliced into the ignition
somewhere, and the optical trigger was installed at the correct location
with regards to height, distance from the trigger wheel, and you fiddled
with the unit like the instructions say (counterclockwise rotating
distributor) and after parking the #1 piston at TDC, you adjust the
distributor until the trigger kicks a spark (sorry about the run-on
sentence) its time to call CRANE, their tech service number is on the box,
unfortunately, you'll need to talk to their service section, and you can
wait a long time for a human while you spend about 15-30 minutes  of time
listening to MUZAK on your money.
good luck, I run an XR700 with a Crane HI-6 and Crane coil in a GT6+ with a
PAINLESS WIRING  harness and GM alternator, with the exception of a few
switches, bulbs, and receptacles, I have been quite successful in exorcising
the demon known as LUCAS from my LBC