Re: Crane electronic/timing woes

To: unicorn7 <unicorn7@mail.icnet.net>
Subject: Re: Crane electronic/timing woes
From: msecres@ibm.net
Date: Sun, 05 Jul 1998 19:59:28 -0400
Cc: Triumphs <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>
unicorn7 wrote:

> Which crane unit did you get,  the XR700 or the XR3000?  Also, since I don't
> know the answer to the next question, is the Lucas sport coil internally or
> externally ballasted. This is important because if it's externally ballasted
> and you have an XR700 and you didn't hook up the ballast, you could be in
> for a whole heap of trouble.   So, if the vacuum lines are all reattached
> properly and you didn't destroy the vacuum advance in your distributor , the
> unit is grounded properly, the correct wire is spliced into the ignition
> somewhere, and the optical trigger was installed at the correct location
> with regards to height, distance from the trigger wheel, and you fiddled
> with the unit like the instructions say (counterclockwise rotating
> distributor) and after parking the #1 piston at TDC, you adjust the
> distributor until the trigger kicks a spark (sorry about the run-on
> sentence) its time to call CRANE, their tech service number is on the box,
> unfortunately, you'll need to talk to their service section, and you can
> wait a long time for a human while you spend about 15-30 minutes  of time
> listening to MUZAK on your money.
> good luck, I run an XR700 with a Crane HI-6 and Crane coil in a GT6+ with a
> PAINLESS WIRING  harness and GM alternator, with the exception of a few
> switches, bulbs, and receptacles, I have been quite successful in exorcising
> the demon known as LUCAS from my LBC

Well, what I have is the Crane XR3000, in conjunction with an internally
ballasted Lucas Sport Coil.  I'm confident the optical trigger is
correctly positioned.  Having messed with the timing now a few (well,
more than a few) times, I have it close, but not quite right.  The car
still misses, and curiously, the miss is worst at full operating
temperature. Whaddya make of this?

Which brings me to my next question.  Something funky is going on in my
GT.  The factory setting for the timing for a '73 is 4 degrees ATDC, and
in the last 18 months I've had this car, it has always run best at 4
degrees BTDC.  Go figure.  4 degrees BTDC is where it was set prior to
the Crane conversion (I just couldn't leave well enough alone, I guess),
and it ran pretty darn well at that setting.  Now, 4-BTDC doesn't cut
it, nor can I seem to find any setting that does.  Does all of this make
any sense?

Some final questions:

a)  Out of curiosity, how does one destroy a dizzy's vacuum advance by
incorrectly setting up an ignitor?  (Actually, mines a retard unit; nor
did I set up the ignitor incorrectly ...)
b)  Is there any reason at all to revisit one's carburetor settings
after installing an elec. ignition?
c)  How come all cars aren't set up at 0 degrees TDC, anyway?
d)  Has anyone yet seen a WNBA game?  I saw the Washington Mystics and
NY Liberty today.  Aside from having had the unique experience of
lusting after some professional basketball players,  I have to say these
women ain't half bad, they hustle, and some of them can shoot.  Wow.  I
feel like I'm growing as a person.

--
Martin Secrest
73 GT6