Re: TR 250 Alternator Question

To: Joseph Sholtes <joeiv@concentric.net>
Subject: Re: TR 250 Alternator Question
From: Tom Howard <thoward@sdcoe.k12.ca.us>
Date: Mon, 06 Jul 1998 20:14:37 -0700
Cc: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
At 10:26 PM 7/6/98 -0400, you wrote:

>Dear Scions,
>
>   I am rebuilding the alternator on my TR 250.  I have taken just about
>every thing apart, except I can't figure out how the "Slip Ring" thing comes
>off.  Is it pressed on?  Slipped on?  Threaded on? Right or left threads? I
>must remove it in order to replace the rear bearing.
>  It looks like it's make of plastic, so I don't want to break it trying
to figure
>it out.  Any help you can give me will be appreciated, thank you.

First you must un-solder the wires from the coils to the slip rings.  Then
it will slide off.  Use a good hot iron quickly to avoid undue heat on the
plastic bits.  Re-solder with a silver bearing solder that melts a bit
hotter to avoid any chance of solder failure in use.

It is plastic, be careful.   When you want to put it back together cool the
armature in the 'fridge.  Warm the bearings in the oven to about 200
degrees.   then VERY QUICKLY assemble everying the temp differance will
change the parts size enough to speed assembly

Thomas Howard
'72 GT6, (and a good bit of USA Iron)
Lakeside Union School District