Re: TR6 cornering

To: Barry Hammel <bluesky@execpc.com>
Subject: Re: TR6 cornering
From: "Dr. Robert Carley" <rcarley@uoguelph.ca>
Date: Thu, 09 Jul 1998 12:27:07 -0400
Cc: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net

Barry Hammel wrote:

Several years of racing both sportscars and motorcycles (Alfa Spyder,

> Sunbeam Alpine, several motocrossers) both on asphalt and dirt, I highly
> recommend NOT lifting your foot off the gas in a CORNER.  Do you shifting
> before the corner and then keep the acceleration on at a relative constant
> rate.   ANY abrupt accelerating or de-celerating will "break away" the
> traction when you are at the limit of adhesion.

  I certainly agree with this.  It's not a practice that I subscribe to;
however, certain corners require accelerating and consequently changing gears,
which means lifting off the gas pedal.  It's this specific problem (oversteer
at the point of gas pedal lift off) that concerns me.

Thanks.