Stiff Clutch Syndrome

To: Triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Stiff Clutch Syndrome
From: Trmgafun@aol.com
Date: Thu, 9 Jul 1998 13:07:58 EDT
Hello chaps,

A friend and I are tinkering with a newly purchased, well used '63 TR4 that
seems to be in pretty good mechanical shape but has a very heavy clutch.
Neither of us have previously driven a TR4 before, but have driven lots of
other Triumphs and can't imagine this being normal.

The PO was not very knowlegable about the car and couldn't offer any
information about the clutch, so we have no idea whether the car has stock
clutch components, or whether someone has modified things, which might make
the clutch a little (a lot?) stiffer.  If the clutch is stock, then I might
guess that the slave or master cylinder might be the problem.  Otherwise the
clutch functions fine.

Has anyone had this problem or maybe have a suggestion as to how to go about
resolving this without too much trial and error??

Thanks in advance,

Scott Helms
Northern Indiana