Re: A simple (!) question

To: Scott Decker <sdecker@bellsouth.net>
Subject: Re: A simple (!) question
From: Martin Libhart <mlibhart@feist.com>
Date: Thu, 09 Jul 1998 18:56:52 -0500
Cc: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Having been there, done that...

1.  Back off the brake adjuster all of the way on the backplate
2. Be sure the 2 small screws have been removed :-)))
3. Tap fairly hard with a rubber mallet all of the way around the drum

That method has worked for me on all but one occasion, where I then used a quick
"puller configuration" of my own design.  I took a scrap 12" length of steel
tube (1" square), placed it parallel to the face of the drum and centered across
the center nut on the hub axle, placed a 4" C-clamp at each end of the tube and
slowly, evenly tightened them concurrently so that I was pulling the edge of the
drum towards the steel tube.  About 3 or 4 twists of the C-clamps and 'pop' -
the drum came free and I pulled it off by hand.

This may be a difficult description to understand - just visualize a
configuration similar to the way a large gear puller would work if applied.

Martin Libhart
1972 TR6
1970 Spitfire