Re: Hercules Needs A Brain!

To: Jerry <lensman@erols.com>
Subject: Re: Hercules Needs A Brain!
From: "Dennis F. Kimberlin" <dkimberl@ops.org>
Date: Fri, 10 Jul 1998 09:35:44 -0500
Cc: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Jerry wrote:

>      Well, first off let me thanks those who provided some assistance to
> my ball joint woes.  I finally persevered using (2) 2 pound hammers at
> opposing sides (about 6-8 strikes) of the vertical link followed by
> putting (1) hammer on ball joint bolt and then striking it with the
> other.  Three hits and off popped the joint!  YEAH!!!
>
>      Now for my next set of problems.  First I need to take off the
> front shocks and coils so that I can get to the bushings for the upper
> wishbone.  Any pointers and doing this?   Should I try to compress the
> coil before doing this or go ahead and undo the bottom wishbone bolts to
> the shock.
>
>      The next two questions demonstrate my lack of intelligence in
> regards to (2) tools I ordered British Victoria (Long Motors) to assist
> in this repair job.  First I having problems putting the coil spring
> compressor on the coil.  I can get one end on the coil but not the
> other.  I've tried spreading the coil but to no avail.  What am I doing
> wrong?  Second, I also got a ball joint separator.  It's shaped sort
> like a "C" with a bolt on one side.  How does one apply this item?
>
>      I apologize for my mechanical stupidity but figured I might as one
> make it public, admit my lack of knowledge and listen to the voices of
> experience.  Any and all help appreciated.
>
> Jerry - 1968 GT-6
Just replaced mine with that device.  Hook the "u" shaped opening just
below the joint on the vertical member and then screw the nut with the
ball bearing top up to the bottom of the joint screws.  Once it is
centered and tight, then just keep screwing until it breaks free.  A
little, on second thought a lot of, WD40 wouldn't hurt.
Suggestion, if the bottom of the joint screw does not have a dimple in
the center, then make the bottom flat by use of a BFH and then using a
punch, put a dimple in it.  The ball joint remover may wander across the
bottom of the screw as the force is applied and make its own dimple at
the edge and then you'll have to reflatten it with the BFH again.
Bottom line, it really is relatively painless and surprisingly easy.
You just have to keep the joint remover centered on the joint screw.
Good luck.
Dennis
75 SPIT
Omaha, Ne