Hercules Needs A Brain!

To: "spitfires@autox.team.net" <spitfires@Autox.Team.Net>, "triumphs@autox.team.net" <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>, "triumphs-owner@autox.team.net" <triumphs-owner@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Hercules Needs A Brain!
From: Jerry <lensman@erols.com>
Date: Thu, 09 Jul 1998 23:46:11 -0400
     Well, first off let me thanks those who provided some assistance to
my ball joint woes.  I finally persevered using (2) 2 pound hammers at
opposing sides (about 6-8 strikes) of the vertical link followed by
putting (1) hammer on ball joint bolt and then striking it with the
other.  Three hits and off popped the joint!  YEAH!!!

     Now for my next set of problems.  First I need to take off the
front shocks and coils so that I can get to the bushings for the upper
wishbone.  Any pointers and doing this?   Should I try to compress the
coil before doing this or go ahead and undo the bottom wishbone bolts to
the shock.

     The next two questions demonstrate my lack of intelligence in
regards to (2) tools I ordered British Victoria (Long Motors) to assist
in this repair job.  First I having problems putting the coil spring
compressor on the coil.  I can get one end on the coil but not the
other.  I've tried spreading the coil but to no avail.  What am I doing
wrong?  Second, I also got a ball joint separator.  It's shaped sort
like a "C" with a bolt on one side.  How does one apply this item?

     I apologize for my mechanical stupidity but figured I might as one
make it public, admit my lack of knowledge and listen to the voices of
experience.  Any and all help appreciated.

Jerry - 1968 GT-6