Clunking

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net, spitfires@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Clunking
From: Bill Kelly <kelly@dss.com>
Date: Wed, 15 Jul 1998 01:41:14 -0400
Mine came on suddenly. Had the right front diff mount repaired a couple
of weeks ago. Cured the drive train noise problems for a total of about
15 miles. Then I heard a sound like a nut fell off somewhere, rattled
around under the car for a second or two, and fell out on the road. Or
maybe it was a rock.

After that the clunking started. Softly at first, but rapidly getting
worse. There are a few strange things about it, though. It only happens
during acceleration and steady speed running - foot off the gas and it
stops. The clunk rate is proportional to road speed. The weird thing is,
it's much louder in 4th gear than 3rd at any given speed, and no trace
of a knock in 1st or 2nd. Final weirdness - it's coming from the front
of the car, as best as I can tell.

Has anybody had this unusual set of symptoms? It's probably the front
U-joint, but like the other recent cases on these lists, there's no play
that I can feel, unlike other U-joints that have gone bad on me.

Next question - has anybody taken the prop shaft out of a Herald without
removing the engine and gearbox? If so, does it come out through the
passenger compartment or the engine bay? Do I lift, or lower, the end of
the gearbox?

Final question - How the %^* am I supposed to have time to restore the
interior with all these mechanical problems I'm having?????

Bill Kelly
'62 Herald, one thing after another
'68 TR250, garaged and begging for attention