Re: Clunking

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net, spitfires@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: Clunking
From: "Ryan Smith" <shmitty99@hotmail.com>
Date: Wed, 15 Jul 1998 07:33:48 PDT
Reply follows:

>After that the clunking started. Softly at first, but rapidly getting
>worse. There are a few strange things about it, though. It only happens
>during acceleration and steady speed running - foot off the gas and it
>stops. The clunk rate is proportional to road speed. The weird thing
is,
>it's much louder in 4th gear than 3rd at any given speed, and no trace
>of a knock in 1st or 2nd. Final weirdness - it's coming from the front
>of the car, as best as I can tell.
>
>Has anybody had this unusual set of symptoms?

This is what my 72 Spit is doing.  I wouldn't actually call it a clunk
though, since it is constant.  Its more of a LOUD whine heard only under
acceleration that comes do a virtual stop the instant the gas is let
off.  The noise is relative to speed and seems to also be most prominent
in fouth gear (of course I'm going the fastest in 4th)I'm looking to
tackle this job next week but I'd like some idea to what exactly is
making the noise.

thanks

Ryan Smith
72 Spitfire