Re: Cooling upgrades on a TR4

To: eddy-ulm@juno.com
Subject: Re: Cooling upgrades on a TR4
From: Gregory Petrolati <gpetrola@prairienet.org>
Date: Wed, 15 Jul 1998 12:21:25 -0500 (CDT)
Cc: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
On Wed, 15 Jul 1998 eddy-ulm@juno.com wrote:

> Listers,
>
> I'm looking for tips  and clues in upgrading the cooling system on my
> TR4. My car heats up quickly in traffic and I want to minimize the
> problem.
>
> At this time it looks like the previous owner of my car stuck some kind
> of Ford fan on the front of the engine.  Anyone ever hear of this before?

        Befroe you invest in a bunch of extraneous equipment, make sure
        you current cooling system is in as good a shape as you can make it.

        1. does your `4 have the wind shroud in place and in good shape?
                If not, get one.

        2. Flush the cooling system

        3. do you have a thermostat that blocks the bypass when opened?
                If not you are recycling some of the hot water back into
                the engine. FIX: either get the proper thermostat (kind of
                expensive if available) or block bypass (the car will take
                abit longer to warm up).

        4. Have your radiator thoroughly cleaned and rodded out.

        5. Get a late TR4 fan from Moss

        Try all the above and get some Red Line Water wetter. This should
        take care of the problem... I have an early TR4 with the TR3
        radiator. Haviinh the radiator shroud and the late TR4 fan did
        the most to take care of my overheating problems

        Greg Petrolati

Greg Petrolati, Champaign, Illinois