Re: Cooling upgrades on a TR4

To: Gregory Petrolati <gpetrola@prairienet.org>
Subject: Re: Cooling upgrades on a TR4
From: Andrew Mace <amace@unix2.nysed.gov>
Date: Wed, 15 Jul 1998 15:38:23 -0400 ()
Cc: eddy-ulm@juno.com, triumphs@Autox.Team.Net

On Wed, 15 Jul 1998, Gregory Petrolati wrote:

>       Befroe you invest in a bunch of extraneous equipment, make sure
>       you current cooling system is in as good a shape as you can make it.

Sound advice, Greg. If I might expand just a bit on one of your points:

>       2. Flush the cooling system

One thing to check while the cooling system is being flushed (or just
drained and refilled): does water STREAM out of the block drain tap, does
it dribble slowly, or does nothing at all come out? Sediment can build up
here to a point where even a good "chemical" flush might not loosen the
deposits. It's usually worth the effort to remove the tap and probe around
with a stiff coat hanger or other wire. It's often amazing how much crud
can be removed that way; it's equally amazing what a difference it might
make in cooling system performance.

Expensive band-aids really won't help if the system isn't as clean as it
possibly can be, and that's usually also the cheapest approach.

--Andy