re:killer bugs!! (was re: Spitfire horsepower)

To: William Elliott <William.Elliott@mail.mei.com>
Subject: re:killer bugs!! (was re: Spitfire horsepower)
From: Gregory Petrolati <gpetrola@prairienet.org>
Date: Thu, 16 Jul 1998 13:14:49 -0500 (CDT)
Cc: IPM Return Requested <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>
On Thu, 16 Jul 1998, William Elliott wrote:

> <<Also don't forget that the Porche pancake-six can be stuffed into a bug
> without much difficulty... as can the 2.1L (?) four out of the minibus-
> add a hot cam and big carbs, maybe a header, and you've got liftoff.>>
>
> We've installed Corvair engines (110-200+hp,
> 160-250 ft-lbs) into bugs, ghias, and buses...
> and 914's, 912's, etc....
> Maybe not a 911 engine, but cheap and powerful!
>
> Also check any "Hot VW" mag and check out all
> the 2.0L kits for a few bucks.  Then look at
> all the NO2 and turbo kits available!  The
> final product may not live for long, but
> will turn some heads while its running.
>
> Finally, I've actually driven a Bug with
> a 455 in the back seat.  Of course, even
> from the outside, you knew it wasn't quite
> "stock". Kind of like the 289 Spit another
> friend had.

        Let me throw a little confusion into this coversation... Anyone
        from the DC area remember the "Heishman Stinger"? A local dealer
        (Heishman) use to sell hotted up Veedubs to the knowledgible back
        in the late 60s.

        The set up was a balanced and blueprinted engine (just like Formula
        Vee), an exhaust extractor, camber compensator and fatter rubber
        (still narrow enough to conform to "stock" class for Solo II).
        There may have been other mods but i disremember. All this and a
        factory warantee.

        I drove one in an autox once... Performance was... well, rather
        stunning. As I remember, they were tough to beat in their class
        as well as nearly any class they got bumped into with the indexed
        time.

        Greg Petrolati

Greg Petrolati, Champaign, Illinois