Re: Where can I get Vandervell bearings???

To: "Philip E. Barnes" <peb3@cornell.edu>
Subject: Re: Where can I get Vandervell bearings???
From: Andrew Mace <amace@unix2.nysed.gov>
Date: Fri, 17 Jul 1998 14:07:43 -0400 (EDT)
Cc: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
On Fri, 17 Jul 1998, Philip E. Barnes wrote:

> "I tried The Roadster Factory and they only had AE."
>
> A few years ago Charles went on at length about how great Vandervell
> bearings are and how he'd stock nothing but them.

Perhaps this is why -- from a news release in Triumph World magazine,
June/July 1996:

"Working in partnership with Vandervell, Heritage Motor Parts have
commissioned the exclusive remanufacture of main bearing sets for the
Triumph 2.0 and 2.5 litre engines in the original VP2
material...preferred by many Triumph aficionados because they last longer
and are more tolerant to higher temperatures than currently obtainable
bearings.
"The Vendervell bearing shells are steel-backed lead bronze with lead
indium precision plated overlay construction...."

The article went on to say that the bearings would be produced in
standard, +.010 and +.020 sizes and were suitable for all sixes except
the 1600 and 2 litre Mk.1 (Vitesse/GT6/2000?) produced up to 1967.

It's hot today and my memory is foggy; I can't recall the composition of
the AE bearings. But I'm pretty sure it's not as described above.

FWIW....

--Andy